Sunday, May 17, 2009

HEALTHCARE REFORM: Special Post

There are those Americans out there sounding the health-care alarm and demanding reform by day's end, saying that the world will come to an end unless reform happens right now. Right now. Right now.

Well, I have a different approach. There are thousands of unemployed, underemployed, and downright poor people in this country who should not be denied health care. But, I have seen the quality of health care that is being delivered by the government out there on Indian Reservations and, by and large, it sucks. If the government's answer to the healthcare problem is the same as what I have seen, then the answer is wrong.

Second, I like my doctor, my dentist. I don't want to change. I've signed up with a great health-care program and I don't want to change.

I do agree that something has to be done, but I saw this country stampeded into TARP, Stimulus, and bailouts over the cries of imminent danger and what happened was that this country got the economic and budgetary shaft, big time. Our kids and their kids and generations to follow are going to be feeling this shaft for decades to come.

I am adamantly opposed to passing any kind of health-care reform this year, or next for that matter. What I am in favor of is a good, solid, educated in-depth investigation of various alternatives, good strong dialogue, communication and discussion of those alternatives over the next two years, and then a public vote in November of 2010.

If the government is getting ready for another "emergency" cramdown of something that has not been well-thought out and discussed, then I am going to fight it like hell.

No comments: