Saturday, September 13, 2014

WHY TAHMOORESSI IS STILL IN A MEXICAN PRISON?

Our government is surely doing everything it can to get Tahmooressi out of that Mexican jail; they're even writing letters to each other about it!  




Dear 
 
Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding the detention of Andrew Tahmooressi.  I appreciate the time you took to write, and I apologize for the delay in my response.
 
On March 31, 2014, after crossing the border into Mexico, Andrew Tahmooressi, a U.S. Marine Corps reservist who served two tours in Afghanistan, was arrested by Mexican law enforcement officials for the possession of three guns and ammunition in his vehicle.  After weeks of being held in the La Mesa Penitentiary in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, Mr. Tahmooressi has been transferred to the El Hongo prison outside of Tecate. 
 
I appreciate your concerns about Mr. Tahmooressi's imprisonment and his subsequent treatment in the La Mesa Penitentiary.  I believe we owe a debt of gratitude to Americans who have served to protect our country, and we must work to ensure the law is upheld in the United States and Mexico.  You may be interested to know that my staff has contacted the U.S. State Department to inquire about Mr. Tahmooressi's well-being and to ensure that he is receiving proper care as a U.S. citizen.  The State Department, through the U.S. Embassy in Mexico, is providing consular services to Mr. Tahmooressi in order to ensure his safety, well-being, and legal rights are upheld.  The State Department and Embassy officials will continue to work with him while his case proceeds through the Mexican judicial system. 
 
Please know that I have noted your concerns, and will keep them in mind as I continue to monitor this case and work to ensure that all of Mr. Tahmooressi's rights are upheld.
 
Once again, thank you for writing, and I hope you will continue to keep me informed about issues of importance to you.  Should you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C., office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at www.feinstein.senate.gov.  Best Regards.

Sincerely yours,


  Dianne Feinstein
         United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the nation are available at my website, feinstein.senate.gov.  And please visit my YouTube, Facebook and Twitter for more ways to communicate with me. 


No comments: