Tuesday, December 08, 2015

SCRIBBLER'S CONFESSION: I AM TO BLAME

I've just been called to task, not for anything I've written here, but for an email I read and forwarded without even a second thought.  The gist of the email was that three quarters of the Mosques in the country actively subvert law enforcement in its task of identifying and stopping terrorism.  This seemed reasonable to me, so I forwarded the email and promptly got challenged.  

The essence of the challenge was that we need to question the veracity of things before we pass them on, lest we be guilty of passing on lies or spins.  I won't get into the details of the argument or discussion that ensued as that is immaterial and irrelevant to the point I am about to make... the point that was driven home to me.  

We need to question what is presented to us by friends, the media and the press.   Much of it is exaggeration, spin or outright lies.  There is so much propaganda proliferating the Internet these days that it is hard to distinguish between what is real and what isn't.  All of us, me included, need to be more careful in what we put in print; no one wants to be lumped into the category of irresponsible journalism.   

To my friends who had the guts and courage to stand up and take me on, of all people... thanks.   
 

No comments: